San Francisco, March 11, 2021—The Walt Disney Family Museum is pleased to announce the opening of the new special exhibition, The Walt Disney Studios and World War II, on Thursday, March 18 for museum members and to the general public the following day, on Friday, March 19, 2021.
The museum’s updated operating hours will be Thursday through Sunday from 10am to 5pm, with last gallery entry at 4pm. The Museum Store will also open to members only on March 18 and to the public from March 19. Guests are invited to view waltdisney.org/welcome-back for full reopening details.
A retrospective of The Walt Disney Studios’ extensive contributions to the Allies’ World War II effort, The Walt Disney Studios and World War II is the first major special exhibition of its kind, curated by World War II historian Kent Ramsey. Visitors will have the opportunity to explore a rarely-shared period in the Studios’ history, with over 550 examples of rare, historical objects and film clips on display.
“We deeply appreciate the overwhelming and generous support that our members and friends have shown us throughout the challenges of this past year. We are delighted to be able to open the doors to this original exhibition that offers insight into the creativity, innovation, and positivity that Walt and his team brought to military leaders, troops, and civilians at home and abroad,” says Executive Director Kirsten Komoroske. “I am grateful to our guests and staff for helping create a safe and enjoyable experience, and I look forward to welcoming you back initially to our special exhibition in the Diane Disney Miller Exhibition Hall and later to the Main Museum.”
The Walt Disney Studios and World War II will be on display in the Diane Disney Miller Exhibition Hall at 122 Riley Avenue. Admission tickets for the following two weeks will be available on Thursday, March 11 at 10am at waltdisney.org/tickets/spex. To accommodate guests safely and to ensure proper distancing, the museum requires all guests—including members—to reserve tickets prior to their visit. Admission will be available on a timed-ticket basis with limited capacities set for each time slot. Tickets will be released in short-term increments to ensure availability.
The Walt Disney Family Museum prioritizes the health and safety of our guests and staff and will therefore be taking the following measures to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience:
- Face coverings are required at all times for staff and guests ages three and over.
- Increased cleaning frequency and procedures implemented throughout the day.
- Distancing of at least six feet required for both guests and staff.
- Additional hand sanitation stations installed throughout the museum and signage indicating handwashing locations.
- Installation of clear acrylic coverings in transactional areas.
- Directional signage and placement of staff to ensure continual flow and eliminate crowding.
- Modified gallery interactives and listening stations that can now be experienced using the WDFM mobile app, headphones, or disposable styluses available free of charge.
- Capacity limitations for daily attendance and all spaces.
- Daily staff health checks prior to arrival at the museum.
- Due to current restrictions, our café, water fountains, coat check, Theater, and Learning Center will remain closed until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- The museum asks that visitors also take a self-screening questionnaire before visiting, and to please stay home if you are experiencing symptoms. If you purchased tickets and need to reschedule your visit, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the exception of the Museum Store, the Main Museum at 104 Montgomery Street, which showcases galleries telling the story of the life of Walt Disney, will remain temporarily closed with an anticipated opening in April 2021. Media announcement and a Main Museum reopening date will be forthcoming.