Department: Guest Operations
Location: San Francisco
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Operations
Date: Starting ASAP
Hours: Thursday-Sunday (9:30am–5:30pm PT)
FLSA Code: Non-Exempt
Hourly Rate: $16.07/hour
Summary of Position
Gallery Associates offer exemplary guest service to the general public. In addition, this role offers guest service support in a variety of operational roles including gallery entrance, special exhibitions and museum galleries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage guests within Museum galleries in active observation and discussion to enhance overall museum experience.
- Provide information to the public regarding museum content, programs, ticketing, membership, directions, facilities, and other pertinent guest information.
- Stay up-to-date on museum policies and procedures in order to inform and assist guests.
- Respond to and resolve guest complaints and concerns, calling upon management as needed.
- Ensure the smooth operation and safety of public areas by monitoring guest traffic flow, guest health safety, and assisting guests as needed. This includes maintaining room capacity and following safety protocols.
- Scan pre-paid guest tickets, membership cards, and other identification for admission to museum galleries.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, adhering to dress code provided.
- Assist with other duties as assigned from Guest Operations management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma.
- Comfortable to interact with public and guest throughout scheduled shift.
- Must be available to work on weekends and holidays.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences and audiences of varying age.
- Must be able to employ museum policies and procedures while exercising decisiveness, good judgment, and diplomacy when dealing with the public. Demonstrated ability to resolve guest situations.
- Able to work with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Bilingual fluency—especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, American Sign Language, or other languages—is highly desirable.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Extended periods of standing required for floor duties; some standing and walking required.
- Visual acuity is required for viewing computer monitor, examining tickets and receipts, and handling payment transactions.
- Occasional stooping, kneeling, bending, squatting/crouching, pushing/pulling, and reaching above the shoulders and lifting of up to 50 lbs. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as boxes, will be required.
Please send your resume, cover letter and to email@example.com. Please also include in your email available start date and shift/schedule availability. Please title email “Gallery Associate – Full-Time.” Electronic applications preferred. No phone calls please. Open until filled.