September 2021 Update
In the past several years, The Walt Disney Family Museum has significantly increased its commitment to providing art and animation instruction, with a focused emphasis on serving underrepresented communities. In addition to offering on-site and virtual classes, workshops, and school experiences, our animation instructors also travel to our Title I partner schools to teach the students on campus.
This year, as a part of our At-Promise Youth Animation Academy initiative, the Museum is thrilled to be launching an Animation Academy Certificate Program at Eastside High School, a school in East Palo Alto, California that is dedicated to providing opportunities for students historically underrepresented in higher education. This year-long program consists of two weekly sessions—a day of instruction on Saturday and an additional after-school session—and provides the students with state-of-the-art training in the principles of animation. All costs for the program, including equipment and materials, are made possible by generous donor support.
Building on Walt Disney’s legacy of fostering the next generation of creative talent, as well as the Museum’s own commitment to underserved individuals and communities, the Academy’s mission is to provide a nurturing, creative environment in which the students receive comprehensive training in art, animation, and storytelling. Our plan is to expand the reach of the program, with the long-term goal of diversifying the employee ranks in the animation and film industries.
- The Academy initiative is designed for high school students, with recruitment focused in historically underserved communities.
- Curriculum centers on animation, with an animated film as a final project.
- Students receive state-of-the-art animation training, engaging and leveraging the Museum’s industry and academic partnerships.
- Lessons are structured around the 12 principles of animation, storytelling, and short film development.
- The goal is to become a national model for programs in the animation and film industries, utilizing the power of the arts to transform and enrich the lives of students.
For more information, please contact Emily Vann at email@example.com