Department: Guest Operations
Location: San Francisco
Reports to: Guest Experience Manager
Status: Full-Time & Part-Time
Date: January 2020
Hours: FT: 30-40 hrs | PT: 20-29 hrs
FLSA Code: Non-Exempt
Senior Guest Experience Associates offer exemplary guest service to the general public while facilitating guest operations and engagement. Senior Guest Experience Associates engage guests to create an exceptional Museum experience through in-gallery talks and Museum content engagement. In addition, Senior Guest Experience Associates offer guest service support in a variety of operational roles including gallery entrance, coat check, special exhibitions and museum galleries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the daily activities of the Guest Experience Associate team with a professional, patient and approachable manner. Areas of supervision include the Guest Experience Operations; Ticket Desk, Gallery Entrance and Special Exhibition Hall.
- Provide information to the public regarding museum content, programs, ticketing, membership, directions, facilities, and other pertinent guest information.
- Stay up to date on museum events, programs, promotions, policies and procedures in order to inform and assist guests.
- Respond to and resolve guest complaints and concerns, calling upon management as needed.
- Enforce safety and museum policies in exhibit spaces.
- Examine and scan guest tickets, membership cards, and other identification for admission to museum galleries, programs, and events. Work with security to ensure that only ticketed guests gain access to paid areas.
- Help to ensure the smooth operation and safety of public areas by monitoring guest traffic flow and assisting guests as needed. Provide instructions, assistance, and guidance to guests in the event of an emergency.
- Operate the coat check area, maintaining the security of guests’ checked items.
- Solicit museum membership sales onsite and assist with potential member questions.
- Maintain orderly and well-stocked workspaces. Keep all public areas stocked with brochures and promotional materials.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, adhering to dress code provided.
- Assist with events and other duties as assigned from Guest Operations management.
- Oversee Guest Experience opening and closing procedures.
- Conduct orientation training for new associates as well as assisting in ongoing trainings.
- Manage activities at the ticket desk, including knowledge and information transfer, visitor service procedures, documentation, material inventory and distribution.
- Provide support and facilitate guests with accessibility needs.
- Engage guests within museum galleries in active observation and discussion to enhance overall museum experience.
- Assist and facilitate additional gallery, theater and studio programming as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 2 years of Customer Service experience
- BA or equivalent work experience required; studies in history, art history, museum studies, museum education, or other topics related to site specific programs preferred.
- Some experience in public speaking and/or presenting educational information to the public.
- Experience working in a museum, educational, historical or cultural setting a plus. Knowledge of and enthusiasm for history or other topics related to the site preferred.
- Bilingual fluency, especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or Japanese.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Basic cash handling skills required. Proficiency with relational database software, particularly ticketing systems.
- Capable of speaking in front of large and small groups of visitors.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences and audiences of varying age.
- Must be able to employ museum policies and procedures while exercising decisiveness, good judgment, and diplomacy when dealing with the public. Demonstrated ability to resolve guest situations.
- Able to work with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be able to multi-task, function as part of a close-knit team, and enjoy working with the public.
- Must be available to work on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Physical requirements include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, squatting/crouching, crawling, pushing/pulling, reaching above the shoulders, and lifting up to 25lbs. Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and/or evenings.
- Extended periods of standing required for floor duties; some standing and walking required for tours and gallery talks.
- Desk duties entail extended periods of work done at a computer workstation.
- Visual acuity is required for viewing computer monitor, examining tickets and receipts, and handling payment transactions.
- Use of phone and operation of standard office equipment, e.g., computers, copiers, etc., required.
- Occasional stooping, kneeling, bending, squatting/crouching, pushing/pulling, and reaching above the shoulders and lifting of up to 50 lbs. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as boxes, will be required.
- Day-to-day moderate noise in open setting; occasional exposure to loud music at special events.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include in your email available start date and shift/schedule availability. Please title email “Senior Guest Experience Associate—Full-Time” or “Senior Guest Experience Associate—Part-Time.” Electronic applications preferred. No phone calls please. Open until filled.
Download a PDF copy of the job description here.