Department: Guest Experience
Location: San Francisco
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Operations
Date: January 2020
Hours: 40 hours/week
FLSA Code: Exempt
The Guest Experience Manager will be responsible for the overall museum guest experience. She/he is responsible for directing personnel and resources to ensure guests have a positive and enjoyable museum experience. She/he is responsible for managing the Guest Experience Team and working closely with this Team, as well as other departments, to maintain and improve the quality of the guest experience and enhance visitor satisfaction. She/he is responsible for responding to any guest concerns and coordinating and communicating new initiatives and programs related to guest experience.
- Manage all on-floor Guest Experience activities:
- Supervise the daily activities of the Guest Associates with a professional, patient, and approachable manner. Areas of supervision include the Admission Desk, Gallery Entrance, Museum Galleries, Coat Check, and Special Exhibition Hall.
- Manage scheduling for all aspects of the Guest Experience operation, including all Guest Experience posts and gallery talks and activities.
- Oversee Guest Experience opening and closing procedures.
- Lead Guest Associate team by example. Provide excellent guest service while ensuring staff also provides a quality guest experience.
- Responsible for creating a positive and motivating work environment. Supervise volunteers during assigned Guest Experience shifts.
- Help ensure that Guest Experience Associates have the necessary tools to be successful.
- Manage all personnel and activities at the information desk, including knowledge and information transfer, visitor service procedures, documentation, material inventory and distribution, and scheduling. Hire and train staff.
- Develop ongoing training for customer service and sales techniques, special exhibitions, permanentcollection, etc.
- Manage departmental procedures manual.
- Additional tasks as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personnel services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluating customer satisfaction.
- Superior written and oral communications and organization skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills to relate and communicate to all levels of the WDFM community.
- Must be able to work independently and exhibit initiative to solve problems, including tracking situations until appropriate resolution is achieved.
- Ability to self-manage and self-motivate.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Supervision and Staff Coordination
This role manages employee(s) and/or volunteers and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these individuals, and must carry out the supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience
- Front-of-house museum, retail, or related management experience
- Experience with Galaxy Point-of Sale-system or related system preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft RMS or related system preferred.
- Knowledge of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), P.O.S., ticketing, online sales software a plus.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Physical requirements include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, squatting/crouching, crawling, pushing/pulling, reaching above the shoulders, and lifting up to 25lbs. Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and/or evenings.